Have you ever wondered what happens to those businesses you see on Dragon’s Den or Shark Tank? Well, today’s guest is one of those who has skyrocketed in growth, building a strong international reputation. Rachel Mielke, Hillberg & Berk‘s fearless leader is my guest today on The CultureING Podcast. Starting a jewellery empire from a prairie city in Canada of only 230k people is no small feat. From 2 commissioned pieces for Queen Elizabeth II and being featured on the red carpet at the Oscars, while becoming a staple jewellery brand for ladies all around the world. On this episode, we get the inside scoop on how Rachel built this wonderful organization, but more specifically, how she built a thriving company culture amidst the rapidly impressive growth! I’m just so impressed at Rachel’s character, helping women find their confidence and flourish, from the inside out.
Some questions I ask:
- What was the moment when you realized company culture had to be top of mind?
- How do you know if people can rise to the challenge of being brave at work?
- How do deal with letting someone go?
- What does it look like for executives and leaders to invest in culture and keep a temperature check on their organizations?
- What other companies’ cultures have influenced the Hillberg & Berk culture?
In this episode, you will learn:
- How to get to the heart of people in an interview.
- What it looks like to effectively stay up-to-date on the culture of your organization.
- How to make the decision to create a centralized HQ versus having multiple locations… and how to incorporate remote workers too!
- The importance of marrying points from your employee surveys with those from 1-to-1 conversations to understand the pain points in your organization that you need to address swiftly.
- The complicated task of integrating remote workers into your culture and setting them up for success.
- How it’s important to take the best practices and culture inspiration from other companies with a grain of salt and distinctly create your own unique culture.
Connect with Rachel Mielke:
Make sure to check out Hillberg & Berk’s Latest Collection!